Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Induction

There is a chemical phenomena called induction, especially common in organic chemistry where individual molecules in a chain can affect polarities of the molecules next to them. So these other molecules, which have no business being polar otherwise, act deficient in one respect and enriched in another.

We had our placement process starting some time in September and I never really accorded a lot of priority to it, to be honest. I had to test out different things and I decided I wasn't going to be one of those people whose emotions rise and fall with the latest updates on the placement blog. But then, everyone around me started worrying about it, even though they'd never wanted to worry about it. Consequently, and I do think that this came as a consequence, I started worrying about it as well. Those final ten days when I was in the muddle, things went from good to bad and back over and over again. Now that I have a chance to sit back and reflect on all those days, I can see how that happened and how it was something that sucked me in rather than something I opted for.

I wonder if the case is similar and much more potent with a career in the industry, so much so that it keeps sucking you in and you put off doing things you love so that you're able to do things which get you money

3 comments:

  1. To paraphrase a quote by a professor, and imagine this said in a real sardonic tone, "Real Life has this habit of butting in every time we try to do something meaningful and fun with our lives."

    ReplyDelete
  2. And then you wonder if real life is all about running the race or enjoying the moment..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had told you some years back about this inevitable phenomena where everyone gets tangled up in a job-hunting frenzy!

    ReplyDelete